Monday, April 28, 2008

Motivation

Motivation is a big word. One of those you can see in those self-improvement articles or books.
And motivation is a real thing. It is not that we can touch, though. However, preparing for the exams by yourself is a hard thing and you will never succeed until you have a great motivation for achieving this goal.
So, I guess we have to do something to improve our motivation and reduce laziness.
Well, for example, now I have to work hard to finish my literature project (which is really made for about 5%), prepare for law semi-exam, do the rest of history and social science questions. Ah, I forgot about my work on astronomy. Hell, but I am writing this post. Why?
There are a few reasons for this:
  1. I am kind of tired as I went to the University today to apply for this semi-law exam. I mean law semi-exam.
  2. My head becomes dizzy with all the information from that law book I'm reading right now. Maybe I should read something else, though... To change author or language, you know what I mean.
  3. I am lazy.
Aha! These problems can be solved. 1. Get some sleep. 2. Read something else. 3. ----
What should we do about laziness then? Where does it come from anyway?
  1. Thoughts like "It is a simple work, I can do this in a day or two" (like with my literature project) or "I have a lot of time and I will do this later" (like with my astronomy work) or "That is tough and I do not like it, but I have to do it... not now, because I feel sleepy and all I can do is chat and spent some time at my computer, aha..." (like with everything) or "It won't give me satisfaction" (oh, what will?)
  2. Being online all the time. Like icq or Google talk or enough thoughts for a new post or some new comments. And you see some ads or something new in theaters and you go look what it is about and then you see the actor and you try to remember the film he was an actor in that you have seen and then you look up what this film's name was and then you read something about sci-fi and then... Ok, that's enough, right?
  3. Panic and stress. Really. You get tired out of nowhere and you just can not do anything else but read something good or eat something sweet to get better but this does not happen or you then forget about worries like exams and relax and see some film or play games (that's what happens frequently with me).
Ok. These are more difficult points. But still, have some solutions. 1. That does not make any sense. You know, there is an idea of dying the next day, so you have no time to waste (but what point in making a project if you will die?). And there is much older conception like "Better do it now" or "Now or never". Tomorrow will come and it will be too late, I swear (that may cause the 3 reason, though). So, my literature project can be simple (though, it is not, really) but it requires a lot of time to get all information look right. And actually, there is no time. I mean, time can not be enlarged or changed but we can use it wisely.
2. Just turn them off. Quit programs, be offline for a while it won't hurt you.
3. This does not help much to achieve your goals.

But, even knowing all that does not make me feel motivated enough to get down to work.
I know some people have motivation and don't need any help with that. I envy them. But I can't understand why I do not have something which will make me work everyday and never want to stop and move on and on. May be I really do not want to study at University? Well, I want. That is not a question, really.
Here are some motivational tricks that were suggested by everybody:
  1. Make a picture of something you want to achieve and put it on your desktop or working place. I have a calendar with the building of University on it.
  2. Think of every benefit that you will have after you pass your exams. Like student's life, getting a real student document. Imagine how you will tell everybody that you have passed exams to where you wanted. Think positive about future.
  3. Set some other goals that can be achieved only after you get to the University. Like getting a good and interesting work and buying a new car or something you have been dreaming for a long time. Or think of something you will do only if you pass exams. Like studying Japanese, going abroad with a grant or buying a new computer.
  4. Well if the second point did not help you can think in the pessimistic way. Like you do not get to the University and you can not get a good job and nobody wants to be with you and then you give up your work because of drinking and then you starve to death or commit suicide. Wow, a sad story, isn't it? But try to think positive.
I suppose motivation is all-brain thing. You should think about it. You should find something motivational. You should make a list of things that you can not do now, but you will be able to do after all the exams will be over. When you will not be stressed up with all these problems, when you will relax and laugh at all this knowing that you are a student of one of the best Universities of your city or country. It is like you are worth it. You are successful. You are hardworking and thoughtful. And you know that you have ambitions and you have strength. And you know that you can do anything. And the whole world awaits for you to make a first step to the future.

No comments: